Friday, July 19, 2013

[20130719] Five Minute Friday

Five Minute Friday
Join Lisa-Jo Baker for 5 Minute Friday. Write for five minutes on a word prompt.
#fiveminutefriday

Today's word prompt: Belong.

GO

At some point in our lives we reach a point of longing... a longing to belong. We feel lonely. Emotionally speaking. We have a sense that we belong somewhere. But where?

Even I have had this longing to belong. I have always felt like an outcast to my family. A black sheep if you will. I was the odd person out, for everything. I was always the last one picked for school yard games. That's a lonely feeling, thinking nobody wanted me.

One day I was invited to church by a schoolmate. So, I went. I had a good feeling about this place and the people. I continued to go. Then, bam, there was an alter call. I was so compelled to go up I couldn't hold myself back. Before you know it, there I was knelt at the alter giving my life and heart to GOD asking Jesus to be my Savior. Then a couple months later I was baptized in the local river with some others. This scripture has a lot of meaning for me:
Romans 8:14-16 

14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 15 So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” 16 For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.
When I was baptized God's Spirit adopted me and His Spirit joined mine to affirm that I'm His Child. From that moment on the loneliness was gone. He is my constant companion. When I begin to feel down, He lifts me up.

When I participate with others in the family of God it's an awesomeness I can not describe!

I belong!

STOP

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so powerful. I can relate to the feeling of not belonging and what an awesome testimony it is to be a child of God, to have an eternal family and a place where you will ALWAYS belong. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How blessed we are that no matter what, we do belong! Such an encouraging post :)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. such encouragement here, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life seems so similar to mine. I was the odd one in my family, never really fitting anywhere. Then a year after high school someone invited me to church and the rest is history. So thankful that for HIs love which pursued me and got my attention.

    ReplyDelete