Wednesday, August 11, 2010

R-E-S-P-C-T

We're all familiar with Aretha Franklin's classic song "Respect". Here's a peek at the lyrics to refresh our memories:

What you want, baby, I got it
What's you need? You know I got it
All I'm askin' is for a little respect when you get home
Hey baby, when you get home, misterI ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
I ain't gonna do you wrong because I don't wanna
All I'm askin' is for a little respect when you get home
Hey baby, when you get home, listen

I'm about to give all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
You give me my profits when you get there
Yeah baby, when you get home, oh, yeah, ooh

Your kiss is sweeter than honey
Guess what? So here's my money
All I need is just a little respect when you get home
Baby, when you get home
[Incomprehensible] on me

R E S P E C T
Find out what it means to me
R E S P E C T
Take care, T C B

Oh, a little respect
Yeah, baby, I want a little respect
Now, I get tired, but I keep on tryin'
Runnin' out of foolin', I ain't lyin'
Yes, respect, all I need is respect

All I want, ooh yeah, I want little respect
Yeah, baby, a little respect
Oh honey, sock it to me
[Incomprehensible]
Ooh, I want a little respect


Please click image and read John C Maxwell's post about a young new preacher. "10 rules for respect that he promised to live by, and he asked his people to do the same."

I personally feel that we as a collective human race have lost something in our lives that has degraded our mentality and personalities. And, I believe that something is "respect". Because when you do not respect yourself or others we're going to be very selfish about what we want and don't care about anything or anyone else. God's word tells us in Matthew 5:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. (Matthew 5:38-42, New King James Version)

Think about how it makes you feel when you're disrespected. It's a blow to one's self esteem. So, isn't it a smart thing to be respectful and possibly respect will be shown to us? Yea, I've shown my share of disrespect and I paid a dear price for it. I learned my lesson.

My prayer is that we'll all learn a lesson to respect others.

4 comments:

  1. When we really begin to see humanity through the eyes of God, that each one of us were created in his image, then our respect for one another grows. When I lose focus of that truth--the we are all loved and cherished by God--then disrespect is certain to follow at some point.

    We are a selfish people... always putting self ahead of others. I've been guilty a million times before, perhaps even today. I want to live better... with kingdom perspective.

    Praying that I respect my fellow human beings with the honor they deserve.

    Great post, Kimberly.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rich post my friend!

    I agree with what you shared and Elaine's words above. I had read John Maxwell's blog the other day as I'm on his twitter. It was a great read and sadly necessary for these times.

    The lack of respect we see is also due to the lack of morality we see in our culture today. That lack of morality is due to a lack of obedience to Biblical principles. People have turned away from GOD and others seem to make their own rules about how to live the Christian life.

    I remain in prayer for all of us. Thanks for always keeping it real dear friend!

    You have my love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! What great words of wisdom. In order to get respect, we have to give it. And we need to do it in all areas of our life, not just the people we like or agree with. Thanks for that great reminder my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and praying for you dear sister! Love you much!

    ReplyDelete