Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Denying the Gospel


Rom 10:14-21

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed:

“Their sound has gone out to all the earth,
And their words to the ends of the world.”

19 But I say, did Israel not know? First Moses says:

“I will provoke you to jealousy by those who are not a nation,
I will move you to anger by a foolish nation.”
20 But Isaiah is very bold and says:

“I was found by those who did not seek Me;
I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me.”
21 But to Israel he says:

“All day long I have stretched out My hands
To a disobedient and contrary people.”


I extracted these comments from a great scholar of theology:

The Lord is a Father to all men. The promise is the same to all, who call on the name of the Lord Jesus as the Son of God, as God manifest in the flesh. All believers therefore call upon the Lord Jesus, and none else will do so humbly or sincerely. But how should any call on the Lord Jesus, the Divine Saviour, who had not heard of him? The gospel is given, not only to be known and believed, but to be obeyed. It is not a system of odd ideas, but a rule of practice. The beginning, progress, and strength of faith is by hearing. But it is only hearing the word, as the word of God that will strengthen faith.

God's patience makes man's disobedience worse, and renders that the more sinful. We may wonder at the mercy of God, that his goodness is not overcome by man's badness; we may wonder at the wickedness of man, that his badness is not overcome by God's goodness. And it is a matter of joy to think that God has sent the message of grace to so many millions, by the wide spread of his gospel.

Note: Emphasis is mine in commentary.

Prayer:
Dear Father God, I pray for the lost souls that they would seek You. I pray for those that have heard the Gospel and will stop denying it and accept it. The reward is far greater than the alternative, hell! I thank You Father God for giving us Your Son, Jesus, to pay to ultimate price for ALL sin. I pray that people will finally accept You Father God and the precious gift of Jesus, our salvation. In Jesus' name, amen.

[Ref: Matthew Henry's Commentary prt 1, prt 2]


3 comments:

  1. Precious servant of the Living GOD is what you are Kimberly! Thank you for sharing this and I am so standing with the prayer you prayed at the end.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture preaches a message all its own. How I pray that the gift in my hands will unfold with all the grace and glory of heaven to everyone I meet.

    Happy weekend to you.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand in agreement and join in saying "Amen" to your prayer.

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete