Monday, March 22, 2010

Peace of Mind [20100322]

Welcome back to the blog on this Monday. I've been a bit off the path for the past couple weeks and missed posting from my word list. This month we're talking about peace. Last time we talked about safety and peace. Today we'll talk about peace of mind, anxiety.

You've heard people say, "I'm going out of my mind." There's even songs titled the same. If you're interested you can check one out online at: 
Going Out Of My Mind by Amy Studt
Play song from Lala.com
False Smiles - 2002 - 3:39

Listen on: Lala - iLike - Rhapsody - Pandora
There are others.

Anxiety and depression are a major issue for many people. I suffered with it for a long time. Here's what God's word says:

Luke 12:28-30
28 If then God so clothes the grass, which today is in the field and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will He clothe you, O you of little faith?
29 “And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind. 30 For all these things the nations of the world seek after, and your Father knows that you need these things. (New King James Version)

Philippians 4:5-8
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (New King James Version)
It took me a long time to get to not being anxious. I read that scripture a lot. I prayed a lot. In God's timing He worked it out within me as I totally surrendered to Him via His nudging. Verse 7 above took me over. I came totally undone with this verse. Surrendering to God's calling and trusting Him leads to a peace that surpasses all understanding. I am not even able to comprehend the power of God. But, He comforts my soul.

You probably wonder how can it be done. How can I be telling you to surrender and have peace of mind. It's a matter of obedience and pride. You must humble yourselves before God and yield to His command. Yes, it's a battle of the wills. Peace comes from God. Anxiety comes from satan. God loves you and me enough to allow us to have that peace. He gave us, the human race, His Son, Jesus, as a sacrifice for ALL sin for ALL time. He doesn't wish that any perish. His word tells us:

2 Peter 3:9
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (New King James Version)
We have the choice. Are we choosing to perish or are we choosing life? Eternal life with Jesus in Heaven?

I don't know about you; I choose Eternal life with Jesus. He's my strength and peace. The Holy Spirit lives within my soul and He is my peace. What about you?

2 comments:

  1. Great post Kimberly. I was literally saved from having a total breakdown last year by the verses in Philippians and a friend's advice concerning them. The verses sure do help to relax my mind and stop it from going into overdrive. And yes, it is all about obedience and pride. More of one and less of the other. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have clung to this scripture for a long season... knowing and believing that the peace of God will come as I am faithful to come to him in prayer.

    He never fails me.

    peace to you this week~elaine

    ReplyDelete