Monday, April 05, 2010

Longsuffering [20100405]

Bible

Hello and happy Monday. Welcome to the blog. Today marks the start of a new word from my list. Come along on the journey and see what's in store.

The month of April I will be focusing on longsuffering. What the bible says about it and how it applies to our life. Today we'll start off with the definition and history of longsuffering.

Definition of longsuffering: long and patient endurance of injury, trouble, or provocation: years of long-suffering and illness.

So, as you can see in the definition it involves more than just being patient. It's a long endurance. Hence, "longsuffering". How many of you can say you do good at longsuffering? I haven't! Only God knows how impatient I've been in this department. I'm so grateful for HIS grace and forgiveness to see me through.

Now, the Int'l Standard Bible Encyclopedia (history of long-suffering) says this:
  • long-suf'-er-ing ('erekh 'appayim; makrothumia):

    The words 'erekh 'appayim, translated longsuffering, mean literally, "long of nose" (or "breathing"), and, as anger was indicated by rapid, violent breathing through the nostrils, "long of anger," or "slow to wrath." Click here to read more.

I find the history of words fascinating. After reading that; how many of you can that you're slow to anger? I haven't been. Sometimes, I need a swift kick in the pants to be reminded by God to slow my roll.

So, now, what does God's word say? Let's take a peek.

2 Corinthians 6:4-10
4 But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, 5 in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings; 6 by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, 7 by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, 8 by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; 9 as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; 10 as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Ephesians 4:1-3
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, 2 with all lowliness and gentleness, with
longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, 3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Colossians 3:12-13
12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

2 Peter 3:8-9
8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

[Emphasis mines]


Click here --> Matthew Henry to read what he says.

Um, I think I'm in big trouble. What about you? God's word also calls for us to endure each other and to be forgiving of each other. It seems it all comes down to obedience and forgiveness just as we've seen before. God is mighty patient of us. See in v.9 of 2 Peter 3. He keeps His promises. He's not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

HE's waiting patiently. How long will HE have to wait... for you? I know HE's really been waiting for quite some time... according to human standards. But, also in that same passage above, His timing of a day is like that of a thousand years.

I don't know about you, but, I'm not going to live a thousand years. I may only live one more day though. So might you. I thank God for His forgiveness and the gift of salvation.

How longsuffering are you? Surrender your will to God and allow the Holy Spirit to flood your soul. He will be your guide and help you to be longsuffering.

Prayer: Dear Father God, I pray for each of my readers to surrender their will to You and that they would be longsuffering in Your name. I pray that I would be more-so longsuffering for You. Thank You for Your forgiveness and salvation. In Jesus' name, amen.

Until next time. Happy Monday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm pretty long-suffering when it comes to God and his plans, but with his people? Not so much. I'm learning.

    Great teaching, Kimberly. It's always good to have a focus to ponder upon. I think you're doing a good job with all of this.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is NO coincidence that as I was making the beds this morning I was 'trying' to get out of some stuff called has called me to..why..welll honestly because I am tired of doing it...and actually would like for Him to find someone else to do it...after I read this though I am back speakign to Him...and needing to hear Him! Thank you Kimberly for allowing God to speak through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimberly. I stumbled upon your blog when I was reading through Lysa Terkeurst's blog about cotton and email organization. Your word "automagically" caught my eye (I love it!) and thought I'd check you out, and I'm glad I did! I can't stop reading your teaching on these precious words.
    Warm blessings,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elaine's words above says it all for me and I appreciate your sharing!

    Praise the LORD!

    Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kimberly for your sweet words on my blog! And for listening in to this country girl!
    God is working--and it blesses by heart to come to your blog--(it is beautiful) and see how HE is using YOU to reach others through online Bible study and you sharing your heart in the word!

    What an amazing blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly,

    How can I thank you for your acts of service and kindness on Our Hiding Place today and in the past? I'm so touched that you would choose to take time out of your day to listen and welcome guests and post links. It's beyond gracious. I'm so thankful.

    Your friendship is truly a God sized one. I surely hope we cross paths on this earth prior to heaven. If not, know I will be running to give you a hug and a smile.

    God bless you and your blog and ministry.

    Ride on!

    hugs and love,

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and this word, well, it's a wow word for me. I have lots to learn. Like Elaine and many others. We're on our way.

    ReplyDelete