Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jealous God

This is tough! It's tough to really "get" this. But, I'll try my best at it.

Let's first see what the dictionary says about jealousy:
  1. feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages (often fol. by of): He was jealous of his rich brother.
  2. characterized by or proceeding from suspicious fears or envious resentment: a jealous rage; jealous intrigues.
  3. solicitous or vigilant in maintaining or guarding something: The American people are jealous of their freedom.
  4. Bible. intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry: The Lord is a jealous god.
Looking at this from the human perspective, we know a lot about jealousy, don't we? I've heard many times over people say something like: "he's green with envy", (enviously - with jealousy; in an envious manner; "he looked at his friend's new car jealously"). We humans hate to see someone doing better or have better than each other. You've also probably heard this phrase: "keeping up with the joneses". We're all too busy trying to impress each other with all of our bling and trying to make ourselves superior to the next. That's looking at it from the materialistic view. Humans are a materialistic people. We tie our identity up with our "things". There's even a movie out called "Keeping up with the Joneses". Imagine that! Here's an interview with the main characters. Listen to what Demi Moore says toward the end.



Here's what God's word says:
Exodus 20:5b
For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God

Exodus 34:14
14 You must worship no other gods, for the Lord, whose very name is Jealous, is a God who is jealous about his relationship with you.

Deuteronomy 4:24
24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
Here's some quotes to tie into God's word.
Matthew Henry says this:
"Jealously is called the rage of a man, Pr 6:34; but in God it is holy and just displeasure. Those cannot worship Godaright, who do not worship him only."

Here's some other quotes:
He that is not jealous is not in love.  ~St. Augustine
Jealousy and love are sisters.  ~Russian Proverb
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits. ~Paul Eldridge

This is what I say about keeping up with the Joneses:


Speaking on God being jealous, taking away the human jealous element and looking at it from a supernatural point of view. Even though there is some similarities in the two types. God wants a relationship with me. If I decide to worship a different god or many gods other than GOD, He's going to be jealous, with rage. Because He created me and He wants me to be HIS. It's liken to a child telling a parent that they are divorcing their parent and marrying a new parent without cause, rhyme or reason. Parents? Does that not hurt? Of course! It would simply rip my heart out that my child decided she were getting a new parent and tossing me aside. I would be so jealous, green with envy. Who knows what I would do, angry with rage, fire!

It's the same concept with God. As mentioned in Deuteronomy 4:24, God is a consuming fire. We all know what happens with fire. That tells me that those who choose to worship, honor and praise other gods will burn in hell. Um... hell doesn't have flame retardants or fire extinguishers. It is an all consuming fire. If you've ever been burned by fire you have some idea of what that is like. I have and I never want to experience an eternal consuming fire. Torment!

Who do you choose today? God loves you and wishes to have a relationship with you. HE is an everlasting, loving God.

If this is hard and you don't know who or where to turn to, confide in your pastor/church. If you don't have one contact me via this blog with an email address to contact you directly. The comments "never" get posted until I publish them. If you wish your comment only for me and not be published let me know in your comment. I will guide you in whatever Godly way I'm able.

If you have any prayer requests, leave them in the comments. If you prefer them not to be published just type somewhere in the comment "keep private". I will not publish it.

Remember, God loves you and so do I; because God first loved me, even though I'm a sinful being. He forgives our sins and wipes us clean, white as snow.

Prayer: Dear Father God, I thank you for forgiving my sins. I pray for all those who need forgiveness and seek it, they're already forgiven through Jesus at Calvary. I lift up my readers to YOU Father God that they would see the error of their ways and hand it all over to YOU and accept Your love and salvation. Show each of us the "right" way to You Father. In Jesus' name, amen.

7 comments:

  1. Good post and I'll be glad to comment.
    I choose Christ Jesus!
    The jealous thing does not bother me. He is the creator and I am His created child.
    I'm not an Oprah fan; but I'm told that this is one of the things she does not like or understand, God's jealousy.
    The word jealous when used of God is to be looked at in a positive way, because He loves us and cares for His people that He created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kimberly. I say "let the Joneses win too!" I love how God loves me as much as He does, and I know exactly how He feels about wanting His children to love only Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to worship and love my God with an undivided heart; no other gods. Only Jesus. It hurts me to think that there have been times when I chose other idols to worship. Thankfully, God's grace has kept me and supplied me with enough forbearance to walk me back to his arms.

    Great teaching, Kimberly. You're doing a great job with these posts.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only JESUS...

    I have a sign on my mirror in lipstick that says: "Keep JESUS first" and that's always my desire.

    Thankful my GOD loves me as much as HE does.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this HONEST post, Kimberly! I have said basically the same thing to people. We humans are quick to say how dare God be jealous! Yet, you know what is so "ignorant" of us humans? We were made in HIS Image. What are we? Case closed! Remind folks of THAT and shut down that negative remark some say about God - "How dare He be a Jealous, angry God" (when we are full of jealousy). Have a blessed day my sister! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimberly,

    Great thoughts in here and I love it that you pray for others.

    Hugging you and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God's jealously for me/us is such a great comfort. Not only is He affirming how precious we are to Him, but He's insisting we understand how precious He is to us.

    Blessings,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete